I love a stack of piping hot, golden brown waffles. I mostly eat them for breakfast, but they’re REALLY good for dessert too.
Waffles and ice cream is a total classic!
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 10 min
2/3 c. whole wheat flour
2 tbsp cornmeal
1/2 tsp Baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 banana, mashed
1 egg, whisked (Vegan – use 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce in place of one egg)
2/3 c. + 1 tbsp Almond or (milk of choice)
1 tbsp jam (I used strawberry)
1 tsp lemon juice
In a medium-sized bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, combine all the wet ingredients. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just incorporated. Spoon the batter over your waffle iron and close the lid. Cook for 4-5 minutes, or until the waffles are firm and slightly crispy. If you’d like an extra-crispy waffle, pop them in the toaster for a couple minutes once they’re done cooking.
I love Pb&J sandwich (peanut butter and jelly) – I can’t remember if it was 7th or the 8th grade that my teacher thought us how to make jam but ever since then I’ve been making my own homemade strawberry jam. Pb&J sandwiches definitely came in handy when was broke college student.
Here is my quick and easy recipe.
- 1 qt ripe, organic strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 3⁄4 to 1 cup raw organic sugar (or substitute regular granulated sugar), depending on the
- sweetness of the berries
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Combine the strawberries, sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring the strawberry mixture to a rolling boil, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon and mashing the strawberries slightly (I used a potato masher for this). Turn down the heat to medium-low and simmer for approximately 10 minutes.
- Put about a teaspoon of the jam mixture on the a plate and swirl the plate around. If the jam runs, cook for 2-5 minutes longer and repeat the process. (The jam should firm up when it hits the cold plate and should no longer run.)
- Transfer to clean glass jars and cool. When completely cool, cover and refrigerate.