I love Pb&J sandwich (peanut butter and jelly) – I can’t remember if it was 7th or the 8th grade that my teacher thought us how to make jam but ever since then I’ve been making my own homemade strawberry jam. Pb&J sandwiches definitely came in handy when was broke college student.
Here is my quick and easy recipe.
- 1 qt ripe, organic strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 3⁄4 to 1 cup raw organic sugar (or substitute regular granulated sugar), depending on the
- sweetness of the berries
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Combine the strawberries, sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring the strawberry mixture to a rolling boil, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon and mashing the strawberries slightly (I used a potato masher for this). Turn down the heat to medium-low and simmer for approximately 10 minutes.
- Put about a teaspoon of the jam mixture on the a plate and swirl the plate around. If the jam runs, cook for 2-5 minutes longer and repeat the process. (The jam should firm up when it hits the cold plate and should no longer run.)
- Transfer to clean glass jars and cool. When completely cool, cover and refrigerate.